- Need Advice?
- Find a garage
- Garage of the Year
- Motoring advice
Need Advice?Vehicle Warranty Code
What is the VWP Code?
The Vehicle Warranty Products Code aims to drive up standards across a wide range of automotive warranty and insurance products, by committing subscribers to higher standards than required by law.
The code currently represents about 70% of the industry's major providers that administer over three million products and is fully approved under the Trading Standards Institute Consumer Codes Approval scheme.
The Vehicle Warranty Products Code commits warranty administrators to standards laid out in the Code regarding the:
- Point of sale obligations
- Clarity of information
- Complaints handling
The Code provides you with:
- More rights than required by law
- A free consumer advice line
- Access to free conciliation and low cost independent arbitration for non insured products - those that lie outside the remit of the Financial Ombudsman Service
What the Code means to you
- The code provides you reassurance that subscribers will comply with the following promises:
- Advertising products honestly and ensure you are given appropriate advice in selecting a suitable product at the point of sale.
- Give clear pre-contractual information to so that you can make an informed decision on the suitability of a warranty
- Give clear information on what is covered under the warranty
- Provide a cancellation period of at least 14 days
- Ensures that subscribers have in place a simple claims procedure to fairly and promptly process your claim or request for roadside assistance.
The Code covers the following products:
- Mechanical breakdown insurance (MBI)
- Service contracts (guarantees/extended warranties)
- Roadside assistance
- MOT insurance
- Tyre insurance
- Key insurance
- Guaranteed asset protection (GAP)
- Vehicle replacement insurance (VRI)
- Return to invoice insurance (RTI)
You can find more information about these products via our frequently asked questions.
Where can I get a copy of the Code?
You can download/view a copy of the Code here or alternatively, download our brief guide here, a companion to the Code, this contains basic information on the Code and our advice service. It also provides a pre-contractual information check list.
What to do if you have a problem with your warranty product
If you need advice or guidance about an extended warranty product then check out our online advice or contact our advice line on 0800 692 0825 or alternatively our landline on 020 7344 1651 if using a mobile; lines are open between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday excluding bank holidays.
You can also submit an enquiry online here.